We need volunteers who are dedicated to advocating for the rights of residents in long-term care facilities. We provide excellent training and ongoing education and support to our field Ombudsmen. Are you interested in advocating for elders and others residing in long-term care facilities? If you, or someone you know, is interested in this specialized volunteer opportunity, contact us for more information.
Volunteers must have computer access, an automobile and a valid California driver license, and must complete a background clearance.
What is a long-term care (LTC) Ombudsman and why are they needed?
A LTC Ombudsman is a person trained, certified, and authorized by, and serves as a representative of, the California State long-term care Ombudsman to advocate for residents in long-term care facilities. Ombudsmen are needed to assist residents and their families in achieving the highest level of quality of life, which is a right guaranteed to residents by law.
What does an Ombudsman do?
A LTC Ombudsman provides residents with easy access to a personal, on-site advocate who is mandated to work only on behalf of residents. An LTC Ombudsman:
- Is mandated, under federal and state law, to identify, investigate and resolve complaints made by or on behalf of residents in Skilled Nursing Facilities and Assisted Living facilities.
- Visits their assigned facilities on a regular basis; spends about 20 hours each month working on behalf of residents;
- Strives to get to know the residents and staff;
- Consults with residents and helps residents get answers to their questions or concerns;
- Attends monthly regional meetings and occasional continuing education classes
- Keeps records as required; prepares monthly reports.
Are you interested in advocating for elders and others residing in long-term care facilities? If you, or someone you know, is interested in this specialized volunteer opportunity, contact us for more information.
Please complete: Long-Term Care Ombudsman Volunteer Application
Solano County Long-Term Care Ombudsman
400 Contra Costa Street
Vallejo, California 94590
Tel: (800) 644-4194 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax: (707) 644-4171